Saturday, March 31, 2012

Self-Publishing Sales Spreadsheet Download

When you're self-employed in any respect, it's very important to keep clear, accurate records. Knowing how to work with spreadsheets can streamline that, particularly when it comes to your earnings and expenses.

If you're just starting out and you haven't gotten the hang of spreadsheets yet, here's something to help!

I've made a spreadsheet template for anyone who's self-publishing e-books. It's not perfect, and it's designed for erotica authors specifically, but you could easily change the titles and numbers if you're publishing on different sites.

This spreadsheet assumes that your e-books are priced at $2.99. The royalty estimates for Amazon and Smashwords will give you a slightly high estimate - there are fields to fill in actual royalties for the month. It will highlight the highest sellers/earners, per-site and overall. It includes a sheet for each month, plus a yearly total sheet that will sum up the other 12.


It's an .ods file, which will work with OpenOffice. It's free - if you don't have a certain other office software suite, you should go download it!

Again, this spreadsheet is certainly not perfect, but it could be a good starting point. Off the top of my head it contains examples of (fairly simple) functions and conditional formatting.

Good luck! :)

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I can't thank you enough. Now that I see how the formulas work I'm playing around with it and having a grand old time. The only thing that I think is notably missing is a way to track returns, which is something I'd like to do in case trends start to develop. Also, it's easier than I thought to account for a 35% royalty sale on Amazon - just enter it as .5 of a sale! Which is kind of depressing if you think about it, really. Who wants to sell half a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helps! :) I didn't even think to track Amazon returns - if I get the chance, I might go back in and add a column for that, it wouldn't be too hard. And that's a clever way to deal with the 35% royalty sales!

      Delete